With the help of an awesome developer friend, we’ve created a new testing tool!!
The tool is a “Test Data Generator”.
It allows for the quick creation of sample test data to paste into an input field.
You can download the tool from my LinkedIn Box account here: Dan’s LinkedIn Box
Any feedback about the tool, be it a bug or enhancement (or even to let me know how useful the tool is for you), is welcome and would be greatly appreciated!
Some more info about the tool:
Using the tool:
The program itself looks like the screenshot below:
The idea is that you:
- Specify a “Max Length” of characters (up to 100K of characters),
- Specify the “Character Set” (options are: Numeric, Alpha, Alpha-numeric, ASCII127 or ASCII255),
- Specify if you want to include whitespace and have the characters randomized (by ticking the boxes).
- Then click on the “Generate Data” button and your data (meeting your specified settings) is copied to the clipboard, ready for you to paste.
Setup is very easy to do. Just follow the steps below.
1) Unzip the file
2) Double click on the “TestDataGenerator.exe” file to run the tool – no installation required.
NOTE: You need to keep the .dll file in the same file location as the .exe file for the program to work. I advise that you move the files to within the “Program Files” folder and simply create a shortcut to the “TestDataGenerator.exe” file for your desktop.
1) If 30 or more digits are entered into the “Max Length” field, The value defaults back to be the previously set value, rather than the max allowable value of “100,000”. (i.e. if the field is set to be “10” and you enter “1234567890123456789012345678901” (31 characters), then the field defaults back to “10” rather than “100000”).
– Thanks to @stephenjanaway for pointing this one out!