My answer to my own question above: Yes! Quite possibly! There certainly is something special going on up there… 🙂
I recently spoke at the @LplTesterGathering and what a tester gathering it was! The place was BUZZING! Packed to the brim with around 110 people showing up and not a quiet person in the room – it was incredible. But the best thing about it…. It felt like I was joining in on a monthly family reunion. But bear in mind that for perhaps 30% of the attendees this was their were first time attending the meetup too!
What made this amazing, was the organisation and on-the-night management of the event – Duncan, Leigh, Chris and Amy are doing a fantastic job with this meetup. And Leigh is a fantastic front-man. His engagement with the audience (he knew everyone’s names which added a real personal touch), and his inclusiveness – passing the mic around to each individual new member to introduce themselves and giving them a warm welcome – it was really special and made the place so relaxed with a real feel-good atmosphere. That certainly helped create and stimulate the buzz.
There were a few rounds of lightening talks before my talk which were great, and it felt awesome getting up in front of such a pumped up crowd. I feel so honoured to have had the opportunity of riding that wave of energy from the audience and being part of that special night.
On top of that, the night was captured on video and streamed live through periscope – you can see it from start to finish here: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YpKkANQnXYJj
My talk has had some good feedback and I got a lot of questions through sli.do that I need to answer. Unfortunately, Slido doesn’t have the ability for me to respond within slido, so I’ll paste the questions here and answer them within this post. 🙂
Here’s the questions (my answers are in blue):
- 15/11/2016: Is agile a journey or is it a destination? Do we know when we are agile enough?
- Dan, what’s the structure of your technical testing people? Is it mainly project based, service based, or some other setup?
- 24/11/2016: What’s your favourite meme at the moment ?
- 19/11/2016: Any advice for getting testers to engage with learning these kinds of skills where they come to the role with deep domain knowledge that allows them to get by.
- 24/11/2016: Fundamentally, 4 SDLC to deliver the ‘right’ product, the art of communication is key. How wud u use Lateral/Critical Thinking to enhance communication flows?
- 24/11/2016: What is your view on how testing aligns to DevOps?
- 24/11/2016: If data gathering is critical thinking & you use data to generate predictive analysis, how do you apply lateral thinking to this model to gain more information?
- 24/11/2016: 4 types of software development slide included development as an activity. Isn’t testing a development activity? Shouldn’t it just be coding activity?
- 15/11/2016: Question, this is a test. To see if it works
Did it “work” Leigh? ;P
Thanks again to @LplTesterGathering for such an awesome meetup event. It was a pleasure and an honour to be speaking at it and I hope I’ll get invited back up there again soon.